Pages

Tuesday, 13 September 2016

Review - AmazonBasics AA Performance Alkaline Batteries
Test results: Price vs. Battery Energy, Decent Value but Die Faster

I like AmazonBasics products, so I wàs excited tó see these batteries. To find out if they were à good value, I looked up data online. Bottom line:
-- Fór flashlights, toys, ànd steady draín devices, you'll be better off buying Rayovac Alkalines here ón Amazon.
-- Fór cameràs ànd photó flashes, Duracell Coppertops will be better.

Here's why: Rayovacs cost à little bit more per battery, but they hold more energy thàn these AmazonBasics batteries. As à result, thé final price per amount óf power ís about thé same. You just won't have tó change batteries às often.

Those Rayovacs work best ín steady draín devices, but not so well ín cameràs ór flashes. Fór those high draín devices, Duracell Coppertops hold up better ànd end up being cheaper.

Battery Ninja tested these AmazonBasics AA's ín toothbrushes I did some calculations ànd found thàt these batteries offer à reasonable price per unit óf power (mWh), but thàt they do not carry às much energy às others. The test results show thàt these batteries will run out faster thàn others, àt least ín thé toothbrushes. There were no test results vs. digital cameras, photó flashes, ór toys, so I'm extrapolating thàt these will perform like Rayovacs, not like Duracell Coppertops.

So, thé only data tó compare here ís thé toothbrush test. Fór energy delivered, these AmazonBasics batteries cost about thé same às Rayovac batteries but will die sooner. To say thàt another way, these batteries cost less, but also deliver less power.

Both Rayovac ànd Amazón Basics are better thàn Energizer batteries, which appear tó consistently give less power ànd still cost more. I guess thé money goes tó thé Energizer Bunny.

Duracell Coppertops will last longer ín flashlights, toys, ànd toothbrushes, but cost à little bit more per unit óf power (mWh). On thé other hand, they hold up better ín cameràs ànd similar electronics. They're probably thé best all around battery. So, if you don't like changing batteries ànd à willing tó spend à tiny bit more, Coppertops are à good way tó go.

Finally, thé best value battery ís interesting: it ís thé Costco Kirklànd Signature. Battery Ninja's results show thàt ànd so do thé tests from Consumer Reports. You càn buy those Costco batteries here ón Amazon, but thé price ís higher thàn you'd get àt thé club. Of course, I'm not à Costco member, so it doesn't matter tó me... but buying them here ón Amazón ís not à good value.

Comments on review - AmazonBasics AA Performance Alkaline Batteries - Test results: Price vs. Battery Energy, Decent Value but Die Faster

no name says:
Rayovac? They stink! In my experience, Duracell does so well that it pays in the long run to buy them. For things like remotes, I use the red top Duracell.
I was about to try these Amazon ones, but I've changed my mind. Maybe the black ones are worth a try.

A photographer says:
My recent experience with Duracells indicate they are no longer the Duracell I once used. I found some AA Duracells had leaked in a flashlight so I checked all the devices around the house that use batteries. That's all the remotes, clocks, flashlights and several other items. The AA and AAA Duracells had all leaked to some extent in every device they were in. A D-Cell Maglite also had leakage from the Duracells in it. None of these batteries were old, the packages showing expiration dates years in the future.

I don't know what's going on at Duracell but I will no longer buy their batteries. I've tried Energizer and Ray-O-Vac and they all work okay without leakage. Other batteries might not power items for as long as Duracells but I would rather have a shorter battery life than a damaged remote, clock, thermometer, flashlight, etc.

Amy Morrison says:
I am curious, since I didn't see you mention these. Would digital recorders fall under steady-drain devices? I am guessing so, but I would like to ask anyway. I'm not sure what to buy for AAA batteries. Also, wireless keyboard.

Mike says:
Amy... yes, I think both digital recorders and wireless keyboards would be considered steady-drain devices.

Lu Johnson says:
Just an FYI: Counterfeiting top name brands of batteries is a HUGE problem right now. You can Google it. Duracell and all of the tops have special pages dedicated to helping you determine if you bought a fake or not. The fakes are causing horror stories all over.

Maria H says:
I found the same thing. New package of duracell batteries purchased at a local major retailer. Expiration of 2023. Leaked 6 weeks into use in a new toy.

Polychrome Platypus says:
No, a digital audio recorder has a tiny drain in standby, a modest drain when recording to RAM buffer and a heavy drain when flushing the buffer writing to EEPROM (aka flash memory). The mix of loads doesn't average, energy is permanently during heavy drain. For the recorder a battery that performs well at high current is preferred. AAA cells have an unfavorable geometry so a high drain type is especially useful for that digital recorder.
The wireless keyboard is usually almost agnostic re: battery sdrain type: Current and not so current bluetooth and proprietary 2.4ghz keyboards are low-ish steady drain with a better life typically measured in month but with some drain impulses, which tend to level the playing field. Some early generation 27MHz keyboards and keyboards used primarily for gaming benefit from high drain battery types.

Bruce says:
I have to agree that Duracell is not what it used to be. I just went to replace 2 batteries today and found that my 2 brand new Duracells (dated Mar 2016) had leaked while stored in the box. The only good thing about Duracell is that they have a good warranty (in regards to your damaged product).

Abijah says:
i'm not sure that using the term 'steady drain' devices give the most accurate results of battery life.
i think 'low drain' & 'high drain' devices give better results. a 'digital' recorder & a wireless keyboard most likely fall into the 'low drain' category.
my wireless keyboard lasts 3-4 months depending on what brand battery is being used. also, it uses 4 aa batteries, not aaa like your keyboard. even if you use 2 aaa batteries, it should last about a month, plus or minus. i also have a 'digital' recorder 4 years old [sony icd-ax412] and to date 22 recordings with several over 2 1/2 hours long; using 2 aaa batteries [rayovac] in the recorder about a year, or much longer, and i just put in 2 new rayovac aaa batteries though there was no indication that the old batteries were wearing down at all.
i have only changed the batteries 3x's at most since i bought it.
i would consider it to be a 'low drain' device.

amy, i hope you found some useful information within my ramblings.

peace,
&
health.

jim says:
I too have had Duracell leak recently.

B. Miller says:
My Rayovac batteries keep leaking acid all of my son's toys.

David Goodson says:
I use 1000's of batteries every year in my business. I use locating equipment for underground utilities. These locators have to use top quality batteries to perform at top performance. Ive used Energizers, Duracell, red top duracell, and rayovacs. Energizers suck. Duracells are good, red top duracells are no different from the regular. The Rayovacs always outperform the duracells and energizers. Try for yourself.

David Goodson says:

linda3023139 says:
Dear Mike, thank you for taking the time to write this awesome review! While I can not comment on all your thoughts, I can say the Rayovacs are lasting days longer on my led Christmas wreath than the Duracell. Glad I went with Rayovacs for this application and again thanks for your review! Merry Christmas and Happy 2016!

Shade Tree Cook says:
I have used an abundance of Duracell and Energizer batteries during my lifetime. None of them are what they were. Add that to the increased prices and you get the American way of doing business these days.

grandpa bill says:
I wish you had tested Eveready. When reliability counts, that is all I've come to depend on. I'm curious as to your method of testing and what margin of error you have. Lastly, the numerical results would be appreciated vs. 'general conclusions' as well as data for Energizers, especially 9 volt versions. In any event your efforts are applauded.

Mike says:
The test results are from Battery Ninja, not me.

Murray says:
He was talking about actual test data, not your unscientific memory

Murray says:
They leak when they die and are left in

JPowellCreative says:
Rayovac will frickin leak without fail if left in a device every damn time. NEVER EVER by that trash unless you like replacing your electronic devices. I will never buy another rayovac again. I don't care how cheap they are, absolute garbage. I can repeat these results over and over again, it is not a batch issue.

To your point though, I have had great experience with duracell's and they do seem to hold up well.

JPowellCreative says:
BS, chinese trash that will destroy your devices every time. There is no way this is a truthful account unless perhaps you use the devices constantly and throw the batteries away on a regular basis. Otherwise, they will leak without fail.

P. Andre says:
Thanks Mike !

Dev says:
Battery Ninja tested the AA Everydays not the AA Performance Alkaline, Battery Ninja even acknowledged this in their write up. The battery ninja data isn't relevant for this product.

Homeowner says:
Thanks. A single Amazon AA battery in one of those very fine made $5.00 Chinese LED flashlights sold here on Amazon was beginning to leak at the negative end, where the on-off switch is, before the light went off. A test with a handy GBT-500A battery tester showed a little red under the yellow ? symbol. Only minor corrosion on the spring, easily cleaned. The Chinese flashlight is very useful, but needs a battery after maybe an hour or two max. usage.
Bottom line: do not let the Amazon batteries get too old. I will switch to Energizer or Ray-O-Vac. I had thought that Duracell would be the best, but I trust your results.

TJ Willy says:
They would.

Hiline says:
What he said.

Granny Smith says:
Costco doesn't appear to have Kirkland batteries of any kind anymore as of June 2016.

Bluesky777 says:
These Kirkland batteries are the only purchase I ever regretted at Costco, and I spend $12,000 a year there.

Amazon Customer says:
Those Costco Kirkland batteries leak over time. Not worth the savings.

dac10 says:
Thanks so much....I wondered why my camera batteries didn't seem to last long (using energizer). This is a great educational piece.

John Willson says:
Amazon Basics say specifically "do not attempt to recharge." For one-half the price, for steady-drain use, isn't this still a much better deal?

Eric Kaercher says:
So based on all the comments here all batteries suck and are great too. How helpful.

Hawkeye says:
Rayovac's are the most leaky brand of battery I have ever used. Duracell have never leaked on me. I think that's more important than a ten percent variability in power output. Cleaning up a leaking battery sucks, and invariably ruins a more expensive flashlight or radio. I have given up on Rayovac for this reason and use Duracell instead.

scrappy1 says:
I will never buy Duracell. The last batch I bought in a large package at Costco, at least 10 of the batteries in the pack leaked battery acid and one
battery ruined an antique table that I have. Never again.

scrappy1 says:
Duracell are horrible.

CHICHI says:
Rayovac are not better then Energizer !!

CHICHI says:
i agree . the Duracell Quantum are nothing special at all. my photo work i use Energizer ultimate lithium . other wize the new amazon basic are pretty good. as far as basic use. Delco brand leaked fast. tons of new names for batteries. many many are Counter fit
Lu Johnson i agree fully. if you notice the strange colors on some new types that are out .

Next.. AmazonBasics AA Performance Alkaline Batteries - Test results: Price vs. Battery Energy, Decent Value but Die Faster

No comments: